HIPAA for the Small Provider
Presenters: Hyla Schreurs and Rachel Lips
- OCR Overview
- Who is Covered by HIPAA (Covered Entities and Business Associates)
- • How the compliance process works
- What is and isn’t PHI
- Permitted Uses and Disclosures
- Incidental Disclosures
- Minimum Necessary Standard
- Administrative Requirements (Designate a Privacy Officer, Designate Person/Office to Receive Complaints, Provide Training, Develop and Implement Policies and Procedures)
- Covered entities’ duties
Presenters: Hyla Schreurs and Emily Prehm
- Individual Rights (NPP, Access, Amendment, Accounting, Alternative Communications, Request Restriction, Complaints to the CE and OCR)
Presenters: Meghana Shah and Karel Hadacek
- Definitions/General Rules
- What is Covered
- Standards and Implementation Specifications
- Administrative Safeguards
- Physical and Technical Safeguards
- Organization Requirements
- Security Rule Resources
Presenters: Emily Prehm and Rachel Lips
Breach Notification Rule
- Definition of Breach
- Notification to the Individual, Media, and HHS
- Breach Highlights
- What Happens when HHS/OCR receives a Breach Report
- Compliance Trends/Challenges
- Complaint Process/Enforcement Process
- Recent Enforcement Actions and General Enforcement Highlights
- Compliance Challenges
Breach and Enforcement examples
Rachel Lips, J.D.
Rachel Lips has been an Investigator for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Office for Civil Rights (OCR), Rocky Mountain Region, since November 2016. Rachel received a Juris Doctor from the University of North Dakota School of Law and is admitted to practice law in the state of North Dakota. She also received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice Studies from the University of North Dakota. Rachel lives in Parker, Colorado with her husband, Kellen, and their dog, Chloe. They enjoy traveling and spending time with their family and friends.
Emily Prehm, J.D.
Meghana Shah, J.D.
Meghana Shah, J.D., is an experienced Investigator at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights. She conducts complaint investigations, compliance reviews, and outreach; and provides expert technical assistance on HIPAA and Federal civil rights laws which prohibit discrimination in the delivery of healthcare and human services.